Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Week 6: Calm Before the Storm

This week was a little less eventful than the previous ones, though some new assignments I've now been given promise an eventful next few weeks. :)

Also, shoutout to BASIS Scottsdale's Science Bowl A Team for winning the regional tournament. Good luck in DC, guys!

---
Presentation
I should clarify, as it's been a source of confusion, "CORE Lab" is a name both for the new method of lesion measurement as well as the lab the method is being tested in.

This in mind, several important members of the CORE Lab showed up at our weekly meeting to, among other reasons, listen to the presentation I mentioned last post. It was mostly the same as what I typed up on last week's post, except with added data, conclusions, and spreadsheets as source material. They seemed visibly impressed, which bodes well for the scope of work I'll be permitted to get involved in for the last four weeks.

Bring It On

In any case, I've begun making my presentation for my SRP, as I have enough somewhat scientifically sound conclusions to do so.

---
Ah, Clinic Lectures, They Never Fail to Amuse
I attended two lectures this week.

Lecture 1
This lecturer discussed different diseases which looked similar through CT scans, and how to tell which a patient had. I was actually able to follow along rather easily, absorbing as much as I could. However, nearing the end of the 45 minute block, our lecturer suddenly announced "Pop quiz!" in the most mock-high school teacher way possible. Wonderful.

A scan was shown on the board along with four multiple choice options as to the condition the patient might have, and random people were called out to give their thoughts. The fact that the first three people had gotten their questions right didn't help when the lecturer called on me for the fourth problem. I stared at the amalgamation of black-and-white abdominal body parts before me and thought, long, hard, and fruitlessly. Well, not entirely so, for I realized option D was a chest condition, and thus (hopefully) not applicable. I sighed, and picked C. What do you know, I was right. ^-^ To give you an idea of how much of a guess that was, I don't even remotely remember the question or what the answer C was.



Lecture 2
This one started off innocently enough.

"We will be discussing the minute differences between PET scans and CT scans, and then move on to analyze the advantages and disadvantages of PET-CT hybrid machines." Great! I already knew a fair deal about both scanners, so I wouldn't be a leg down during this talk. So I thought. Apparently the key word in the above statement was "minute".

This guy launches into collegiate level particle physics, slamming down more equations in one minute than I had committed to memory in all of honors physics. I was mentally paralyzed, unable to react in any appreciable manner. So I slowly and awkwardly ate the vanilla pudding I had brought with me from the clinic cafe, nodding once in a while to give my temporary teacher affirmation that I knew exactly *cough* none of *cough* what he meant. It didn't help that there were less people than usual attending this lecture, around 5 as opposed to the usual 10 or so.

At around the halfway point, I heard and saw something I understood. "This is a picture of a PET-CT hybrid machine."



Then it was back to attack of the variables for the last 20 minutes.
'blahblah... neutrino... talktalk... gamma delta of the particle collider... so on so on... I like cantaloupe...photon-gluon combination...'
me
There was actually a lecture I attended yesterday in which I showed up the lecturer at one point. It wasn't a big deal, but I found it funny regardless. Tune in next week to hear that story ;)
---
Elevator
I got on the same elevator I always do to go up to the Mayo cafe and grab some grub. But I pressed the 'close doors' button twice and nothing happened. Confused, I hit it a third time, and the doors started closing. Right before they could finish closing though, the elevator started moving up, jerked to a stop, waited a few seconds, and then resumed. It was disorienting and somewhat curious. Yeah, that's it. I know, these events are boring, but they're all I've got haha

Unrelated Gif Because Why Not

I wish all you readers a wonderful, eventful week. See you next time!


12 comments:

  1. Congratulations with your presentation and beginning your final presentation! Love the "it has no mass, doesn't matter poster" with respect to neutrinos. That's what I say too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully everything will work out well in my final presentation!

      Delete
  2. Oh man, you're really living it up, aren't you? :P Anyhow, I'm so glad you did well with your presentation! And it's exciting that you could understand some of these lectures. I hope the vanilla pudding was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thug lyfe chose me after all
      And yes, the vanilla pudding was delicious. :)

      Delete
  3. The moment when you actually guess the right answer is the best. I hope your presentation sufficiently impressed them enough to give you interesting work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did. *continues typing up massively late blog post as always*

      Delete
  4. I totally sympathize with you and lab meetings. I went to one yesterday, and I understood a solid 10% of what was going on. When they were actually talking about my project... And hmm, I wonder what that elevator was doing. I wonder if it'd do the same thing if you tried that again haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pranav, you never cease to amuse me with your weekly blogs. Although I haven't responded to all of them, I've enjoyed every one! You've managed to enliven something that could have been very dry and boring. Good job! And excellent work on picking the correct answer...I think we've all had to deal with that situation before. (You definitely did better than me when I was once asked a "yes or no" question, gave my answer, and was told that I'd had a 50-50 chance of getting it right...and I blew it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. Atteberry! haha a guess is a guess as they say

      Delete
  6. Pranav....on the advice of Mr. Atteberry I checked out your entire blog to this point. What certainly could be rather dry and boring is not at all. You are obviously having 'fun' at Mayo and enjoying your SRP. I so look forward to your presentation. Happy ppt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. Nishan! I'll make sure the presentation is as informative and possibly entertaining as possible.

      Delete